wI have questions about my child’s development, who should I contact?

Parents’ concerns about their children’s development should be taken seriously. You should discuss your concerns with your pediatrician as a first step.

A next step would be to get a developmental screening for your child. A developmental screening can determine whether your child needs a more in-depth assessment. Help Me Grow can help screen your child over the phone. We also can talk with parents about their concerns to better understand your child's developmental milestones. Help Me Grow provides ongoing emotional support throughout the entire family's journey. Learn more about Help Me Grow.

What if my child needs further help?

Help Me Grow can provide you guidance while you wait for additional services. If your child aged birth up to 3 years old has been screened and there are concerns, you may want to contact West Coast Early Steps at (800) 374-4334.  For children older than 3 years old, you may want to contact the Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources System (FDLRS) at (850) 245-0478.

You do not need a referral from your pediatrician for an evaluation at West Coast Early Steps or FDLRS. You will want to ask them to share the evaluation results with your pediatrician.  Be persistent in seeking an evaluation until all your questions have been answered.